This is the Markdown plugin for bbPress that I needed, but could not find. It replaces the standard editor with a responsive Markdown form that includes a preview and formatting help. The Markdown is parsed using PHP Markdown(Extra) and saved as a regular HTML bbPress post. The Markdown is saved separately for later editing. The plugin can be activated and deactivated without affecting your bbPress data, it uninstalls cleanly (deleting any saved Markdown code) and is multisite compatible.
Tip: You can give the plugin a slight performance boost if your forum is Markdown only or you don’t care that some non-Markdown posts are displayed slightly different than before (e.g. not turning newlines into paragraphs or no longer making URLs automatically clickable), by adding the following to your theme’s functions.php:
add_filter( 'bbpmd_remove_output_filters_for_all_posts', '__return_true' );
Contributors & Developers
“bbP Markdown” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “bbP Markdown” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- bbpmd_help_content is now an action rather than a filter
- minor code improvements
- added new filter: bbpmd_help_content
- brought back the larger margin lost in the previous update
- fixed a few bugs
- the markdown form can now be loaded multiple times on the same page
- removed a set of standard bbp content output filters that conflicts with the intended markdown output
- added filter to disable bbp content output filter removal
- added filter to selectively disable output filtering for markdown posts only
- changed “Message” to “Write”
- added filters for “Write”, “Preview” and “Help”
- added examples for linebreak and paragraph break
- min-height of preview panel is now set dynamically
- cleaned up html output
- initial release