The default WordPress “shortlink” URLs look like this:
http://www.example.com/blog/?p=123, where “
123” is actually a 7+ digit decimal number. This plugin shrinks your shortlinks by encoding that number into only 4 characters, and using the abbreviated URL prefix of your choice.
On my site, the default shortlinks are 35 bytes long, even though I have a very short domain name. This plugin shrinks them to 21 total bytes, which is comparable to most public URL-shortener services, and better than many.
This doesn’t affect your (long) permalinks: those can still be in whatever format you like.
- Upload the
base64-shortlinksdirectory to your
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress.
- Select the “Base64 Shortlinks” menu under “Settings” and enter your Shortlink URL Prefix.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Base64 Shortlinks” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Base64 Shortlinks” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Shortlinks that happened to have “-” in them were failing. Fixed.
- Fixed a bug that affected blogs installed in the root directory of their site.
- Fixed a bug that caused shortlinks to be longer than necessary on 32-bit systems.
- Fix for WordPress 4.0.
- Eliminated some PHP warnings.
- Don’t use PHP short-open tags.